Fast Track Program
The County of Sacramento recognizes that certain development projects make a special contribution to the general welfare by providing employment opportunities, supporting government services or enhancing the general economic well-being of the County. The County of Sacramento further recognizes the need to encourage such development projects by expediting the entitlement and permitting processes and hereby establishes the following procedures:
Fast Track Permit Processing
The following development projects shall be eligible for consideration of Fast Track status:
- A commercial and/or industrial development project that meets at least two of the following criteria if, on the date a determination of Fast Track eligibility is requested as provided herein: 1) the project will create at least 50 new, permanent, full time jobs; or 2) the project will result in a capital investment of at least $25 million, including land, buildings, infrastructure (on-site and off-site) and equipment; or 3) the project will generate at least $10 million in annual taxable sales. A project must have an identified tenant or operator to be eligible for Fast Track processing, as demonstrated by a signed lease or letter of intent to be included with the Fast Track application.
- A residential development project that meets at least one of the following criteria: 1) the project has received a form of public assistance from the County of Sacramento, State of California, Federal Government, Sacramento Housing & Redevelopment Agency or other suitable funding and at least 15 percent of all project residential units that are either owner occupied or tenant occupied have been deed restricted to be affordable to low-income households for a minimum period of thirty (30) years; or 2) the project has received a form of public assistance from the County of Sacramento and at least 15 percent of all project residential units that constitute mutual self-help housing units have been deed restricted to be affordable to very low-income and low-income household for a minimum period of fifteen (15) years; or 3) the project is funded by Multifamily Housing Revenue Bonds authorized by the California Debt Limit Allocation Committee and at least 20percent of all project residential units have been deed restricted to be affordable to lowincome households for a minimum period of thirty (30) years.
- Renewable Energy Projects and development projects that are zero net energy.
- Manufacturing facilities that develop new clean/green products, recycle waste streams or use 30 percent recycled material in the manufacture of new products.
- Any other development project that is awarded Fast Track processing by a majority vote of the Board of Supervisors.
Application and Processing
A proponent of an eligible development project may submit a written request, completed Fast Track application, and supportive documentation for a determination of Fast Track eligibility to the Deputy County Executive of Community Services and the Office of Economic Development for consideration. An eligibility determination shall be made within ten (10) working days of the date of a complete submittal. Approved Fast Track projects will receive a countersigned copy of the Fast Track application, which should be included for reference with all subsequent submittals to the County for the project. For approved Fast Track projects, Fast Track status will expire eighteen (18) months from the date the project was accepted into the Fast Track Program.
The Deputy County Executive of Community Services, in his or her discretion, shall approve or disapprove all Fast Track application requests. In addition to determining whether the project meets the Fast Track Program Eligibility Criteria, the Deputy County Executive may evaluate the request within the context of the current Fast Track pipeline and its capacity to accommodate additional projects, to ensure that all approved Fast Track projects will be able to realize the benefits that the Fast Track Program seeks to offer. The maximum number of open Fast Track projects that any developer and its affiliates shall have at any one time is three (3) projects.
The Fast Track Program is designed to encourage the expeditious delivery of projects that will provide substantial and important contributions to the general welfare of the County. Acceptance of a project into the Fast Track Program obligates the Applicant to pursue all reasonable measures and proper diligence to ensure the timely delivery of the project, including those activities related to permitting and construction efforts. Projects for which progress is deemed to be unsatisfactory may be subject to revocation of Fast Track status, at the sole discretion of the Deputy County Executive. The County may consider an Applicant’s past performance on Fast Track projects when evaluating new and subsequent Fast Track requests. Fast Track projects shall be pursued in good faith and with an appropriate standard of care by all parties involved in order to preserve the integrity of the Fast TrackProgram for Applicants and the County alike.
For questions related to the Fast Track Program, please contact the Office of Economic Development at (916) 874-5220.